Monday, April 16, 2012

In Parked Cars There are Big Ears and Tight Lips

We pull into a parking lot and instead of getting out we talk. It happens almost every time. We talk about the deepest things (publishable material that can change lives) or the most pointless of topics (like the things you see in SNL). We cried together, (or maybe I've cried). We laugh. We holler. We joke. We contemplate. We relate.

They have this ability to listen to everything I have to say. There are times when my thoughts are completely off or my conclusions are very much tainted. Yet, they never judge, degrade, or disregard my ideas. They sit there as I talk about how I don't understand why things are a certain way or how confused I feel in a specific situation and they nod in response. 

But it's easy to find a listener. It's difficult to find a secret keeper. Not only do they listen but they retain what I tell them. It's a beautiful thing, having someone in which to confide. That's true friendship:

Being able to sit in a parked car for extended amounts of time and let it all out without worrying if your business will race around town after the fact. 

There's this friend, whenever we go out together this thing happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment