Friday, April 20, 2012

The Naked Mentality



   “Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
   and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
   may the name of the LORD be praised.” (In the second chapter of the book of Job)

I don't know about you, but when my days are hard and my nights frustrating I tend to grumble profanities or curl up on the couch to cry. Sometimes I listen to metal music and eat a lot of chocolate as I wallow in my misery. Well, I've been reading this book, Job, for the past however many weeks. I've noticed that this book is a manual to overcoming the urge to yield to self pity. This guy, Job, experienced so much misfortune. He lost his house, his family; his entire life was turned upside down, put through a metaphorical shredder and burnt into ashes. YET, he never suffered from depression or chronic anxiety. He didn't have to go to numerous counseling sessions with his psychologist or call a suicide prevention hotline. 

He had this "naked mentality", this understanding, this comprehension regarding his life's situation; when he came on this earth he had nothing. He realized that the only thing he had when his little butt arrived on planet earth was God. He knew who his provider was. Instead of cussing and cutting himself, he praised. He proactively avoided the natural tendency to feel completely crushed. Maybe I'll try the naked approach to my circumstance next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment