Thursday, April 12, 2012

I Too Tell You What I Know


There's this idea, this stereotype, this generalization that gets thrown out at me at times:
Teenagers are immature, naive, and self-centered individuals who can't manage money or make level headed decisions. 


Sometimes I wish I fit into that cookie cutter image of a teen. Life would be so much "easier". I would experience fewer stresses and live with more freedoms. I read this monologue in my bible today.A young man who didn't quite fit society's idea of a teen shares: 


 “I am young in years, 

   and you are old; 

that is why I was fearful, 
   not daring to tell you what I know. 
I thought, ‘Age should speak; 
   advanced years should teach wisdom.’ 
But it is the spirit in a person, 
   the breath of the Almighty, that gives them understanding.It is not only the old who are wise, 
   not only the aged who understand what is right.Therefore I say: Listen to me; 
   I too will tell you what I know.I waited while you spoke, 
   I listened to your reasoning; 
while you were searching for words..." (found in the book of Job) 
My age doesn't limit that amount of wisdom I can attain. It's not just the old folks who have wisdom. How much wisdom I have is based on my spirit. So I'm sorry if I'm less carefree and a little more focused than most people my age, but my spirit gives me understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment