Thursday, July 28, 2011

This Strange Thing Called Dependability

"When are you going to start being someone people can depend on?" was the question my dad asked me one afternoon after failing to do something I had told him I'd do.

The question got to me. I snapped at him with a smart remark which ended our heated discussion. I plopped my body like a blob of mashed potatoes on to the couch and sulked. I thought about the question. It seemed kind of unanswerable. How DOES one know when they are going to be dependable? Was dependability a trait that you need to switch "on" in your life? It suddenly hit me; YES! All at once I was like "I just got to turn in the switch!" I emailed my dad the answer to his question.

This was about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've been an ESL teacher and I've organized food menus for an orphanage. I've also been checking and responding to my emails.

Just turn on the switch and never turn it off.


1 comment: