Saturday, June 18, 2011

Something Drastic -Phase 2

After I received the news that we were going to Haiti to give a year in missions I wanted to prepare myself. I figured a broken person entering a 3rd world country without prior preparation wasn't smart. So I asked my pastor what she suggested I'd do.

"look on the internet for pictures of those children in Haiti (the one's who had JUST experienced an earthquake) and look at them for a long time. Hang the pictures on the walls of your room or make a collage if you like. And pray. "

I didn't understand this at all! I literally thought that she didn't comprehend what I was trying to accomplish, but of course I did it anyway.

I remember sitting on my bed staring at the crying kids with bruises and bumps on their bodies. As I looked I prayed. I wasn't praying for them I was praying for me (because I was supposed to be preparing myself). I asked God to prepare me and lead me. As I prayed I began to cry. My heart began to ache for these children. I was experiencing compassion; an overwhelming sense of love! I didn't realize it at the time but this was the best self preparation I could have ever asked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment