Friday, August 17, 2012

Eating Cheese Steaks Is a SIN!

All my life I've been surrounded by those who shared the same faith as myself, but the older I get the more I realize how different our views are. How is that? How is it that we all believe in the same Truth yet we don't agree in the same truths? I thought Truth wasn't relative. The Truth is the Truth, unchangeable. So I started to ask questions.


Should I watch a vampire movie?
Is yoga really "bad"? 
Is teen marriage wrong?
Listening to secular music a sin?
Using fish net tights a sin?
Eating a potato chip after it's fallen on the floor wrong?
Getting a tattoo wrong?

A wise friend helped me out. 
Basically we have confused the difference between scruples and sin. A scruple is a moral or ethical consideration or standard that acts as a restraining force or inhibits certain actions. Sins are that which the Bible clearly states are wrong.

That clarified a lot of cloudiness in my thinking. I didn't understand why I felt so strongly about certain things but there were those things that I didn't find important to refrain from doing. We are each instilled with a specific set of morals and beliefs that determine how we make life choices. So, our one Faith remains as Truth, but what makes me different from everyone else are those cool scruples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment