Monday, June 27, 2011

Church, As Usual (part 1)

We recently visited a church in Port-Au-Prince. The place was packed with long-term missionaries who serve in the area and a few short-term. The songs were in English! The prayers were in English and announcements were in English. "Um, ok", I thought, "Why don't theses people go to church with Haitians?!" I was really turned-off by it all.

We happen to have a church right outside our house, within the compound walls, that we attend regularly the only problem...it's all in Kreyol. At this point, I can understand the sense of a message and sing a large percentage of the songs. I've learned to love this church even with the language issue. I enjoy worshiping with the people that God sent us here to serve. There's something about lifting up the Father the way they do!

Back to this church visit; all I saw was a little American church inside a city in Haiti. It made no sense to me.

Where were the old Haitian hymns?

The group of women with head coverings?

Skirts?

The awkward "Bon Fet" section of service where we sing to all the people whose birthdays were within the past week?

The Kreyol message?

No comments:

Post a Comment